Friday, September 22, 2017

A Spell for Wisdom

Blessed Mabon to everyone!  The pot roast is on, and we're preparing for feasting. We've already talked about things to do for Mabon, but this week's spell is certainly as valid for Mabon/Equinox as at any other time.  On a waxing moon is best, so now would work well, and as the summer fades, we move forward toward the end of the year, and the New Year on Samhain, a time of reflection.

For me, the winter months are a time of study as well as reflection, so one of the spells I work in preparation for this study and the New Year, is a spell to bring wisdom, so that I can use what I’ve learned over the past year in the coming one. As you can tell, I tend to use different types of spells based on my goals, the time of year, and my energy level, so starting with a spell to increase understanding and knowledge and thereby wisdom, is, for me, a lovely way to start my prep for the new year.

First, of course, you will prepare your space. What symbolizes wisdom to you? Bring it to you altar. You will want to choose a shape or image that symbolizes wisdom to you. You can use anything you can carve on the candles. One thing I do is use something that represents different aspects of the need. For this spell, you could use something like knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.





You will need:

3 candles(yellow, purple, black, white, dark blue, all represent wisdom)
Mint (herb or oil-I’ve used both equally effectively)
Sage (I usually just smudge with the sage before casting the spell, but you can also mix it with the mint and burn it as an offering if you choose)
Almond oil (if you choose to use herbs rather than oils, use the almond oil alone to anoint your candles)

After smudging, and casting the circle, ground and prepare your energy. When you feel ready, carve your symbols on your candles, and anoint them. As you light them, say,

My thirst for knowledge
Seeks so deep
Where wisdom flows
From the universal sea

Mix the herbs together in your cauldron for your offering.

Show me the way
To find the path,
Of understanding
Now found at last

When you are done, focus your will on your intention, in this case, you will probably use some version of how your knowledge and understanding will make you wise. As you light the mixture, say,

I drink in awareness
To quench my craving
And In my abundance,
Clarity it does bring

Let your herbs burn, and when they are ash, snuff your candles while saying,

In the Pool of Nature’s Wisdom
Body and mind do see
As my will,
So mote it be

Close your spell.

For Wisdom:

Herbs and oils: Mint, Almond, Sage, Bay leaves



No comments:

Post a Comment